20 Fast, Healthy Snacks
Who said snacks can’t be healthy? August is a great time to review your kids’ snacks before school begins, making sure they are nutritious.
To help, here are 20 healthy snack suggestions from Texas Children’s Food and Nutrition Center.
1. Light yogurt mixed with any of the following: 1/4 cup grape nuts;
2 Tbsp. almonds; 1/4 cup dried oats;
1/4 cup low fat yogurt; 1/2 cup berries; or fruit of choice.
2. Sargento light string cheese, with seven reduced-fat Triscuits.
3. 1 whole-wheat or reduced-fat tortilla with 3 Tbsp. Guiltless Gourmet bean dip, and 1 slice of reduced-fat or fat-free cheese. Dip in salsa.
4. Apple or banana with 2 Tbsp. peanut butter.
5. Trail mix:
• 1/4 cup pretzels, cereal of choice or Teddy Grahams
• 3 Tbsp. raisins, cranraisins or dried fruit
• 1-2 Tbsp. peanuts
6. Tuna kit (a package usually containing crackers as shown below) with light mayo.
7. Light yogurt smoothie with a small piece of fruit.
8. Half of a whole-wheat English muffin or bagel, topped with marinara sauce and reduced fat cheese. Bake until cheese is melted.
9. 1 cup of easy-to-bag veggies (baby carrots, sliced cucumbers, sliced bell peppers, sugar snap peas) with light ranch and crackers or a piece of fruit.
10. 1 whole-wheat Eggo waffle with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter and 1/2 small banana.
11. 4 oz. reduced fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup fruit of choice mixed together.
12. Nature Valley Granola pack (contains 2 bars) with a piece of fruit.
13. Low-fat/low-sugar pudding snack pack with a serving of Teddy Grahams (around 24).
14. 3 cups Smart Pop popcorn with a piece of fruit.
15. 1 cup low-fat hot chocolate made with 2 Tbsp. cocoa, 8 oz. skim or 1 percent milk, and 1-2 Splenda packets. Serve with 2 graham crackers.
16. 1 slice of whole-wheat toast, topped with sliced tomatoes and reduced fat mozzarella, sprinkle basil or seasoning of choice. Bake until cheese melts.
17. 1 whole-wheat Eggo, topped with light yogurt and sliced fruit.
18. Apple salad: dice apple into small pieces, stir in 1/4 cup Light Cool Whip and 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts. Mix and enjoy.
19. 1 tortilla, 1 oz. sliced turkey, 1 slice fat-free/low-fat cheese.
20. Spinach quesadillas: 2 corn tortillas, spinach, 1/4 cup light cheese. Spray pan with Pam and cook until cheese melts. Dip in salsa.
Source: Texas Children’s Hospital, www.texaschildrenshospital.org